Woodbury Reports Archives

strugglingteens.com 

The Internet's leading source of information on emotional growth schools & programs


Free eAlerts

 For FREE updates... 
enter your email
address and click
 GO 

 
Online News
Site Links
Archives

News & Views - Dec, 1992 Issue 

Navajo Pines
An Outdoor Residential Treatment Program
Dave Goodwin
800-962-4673
LaVerkin, Utah

Opening its doors late last summer and licensed as a residential treatment center in the state of Utah, Navajo Pines combines traditional therapies with outdoors experiential processes. It is close to Zions National Park. "Hidden in a desert valley, next to a small stream and shaded by an oasis of trees is the 15 acre facility complete with 105 ROPES course activities. Lodging includes a camp-like setting where adolescents sleep in tepees or outside under the stars, attend to their personal needs and laundry in a new indoor facility and cook their own meals outdoors, all while supervised by qualified counselors." The six to eight week course of treatment includes "daily experiential therapy utilizing the ROPES course and group processing; bi-weekly individual therapy; weekly family therapy scheduled as a conference call between all significant family members; and bi-monthly medication/psychiatric management." Academics are maintained by "an independent study program that interfaces our adolescents with their home schools." The assignments "integrate our program's emotional and spiritual focus with that of the home school's academic assignments." Parents are invited to spend the last two days of the program on site "intensely working with their adolescent and his/her therapist in preparing for the return home." They estimate about 90% of the adolescents will return home, and will work with the remaining 10% to help the parents find the proper follow-up program.

Copyright 1992, Woodbury Reports, Inc. (This article may be reproduced without prior approval if the copyright notice and proper publication and author attribution accompanies the copy.)

PO Box 1671 | Bonners Ferry, ID 83805 | 208-267-5550
Copyright 1995-2017 by Strugglingteens,LLC. All rights reserved.    Privacy Policy