| "The reputation of a thousand years may be determined
by the conduct of one hour."
~ Japanese proverb
| "The only disability in life is a bad attitude."
~ Scott Hamilton
| "A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on."
~ Carl Sandburg
| Every child in America entering school at the age of
five is mentally ill because he comes to school with certain allegiances to our founding fathers, toward our elected officials,
toward his parents, toward a belief in a supernatural being, and toward the sovereignty of this nation as a separate entity. It's
up to you as teachers to make all these sick children well--by creating the international child of the future.
~ Chester M. Pierce, Harvard psychiatrist
| If you want to test a man's character, give him power.
~ George Washington
| That roughhousing between father and son that may make
mom cringe is actually the rudimentary beginning of a boy's management of his aggression and his ability to substitute emotional
mastery and mutual cooperation for violent interaction.
~ William Pollack
| "I am convinced that life if 10 percent what happens
to me and 90 percent how I react to it."
~ Charles Swindoll
1998 State of Our Nation's Youth
by Horatio Alger Association
Reported in Education Week, Sept. 9, 1988
an annual national survey
- Nearly 60% do not always feel safe in their schools
- Over 40% say that other students behavior interferes with their performance
- 65.5% have at least 1 teacher or administrator to talk about personal problems
- 69.3% can confide in their mothers
- 40.8% can confide in their fathers
- 40.7% have a family member as role model
- Less than 1% have a politician as a role model