New Perspectives - Dec,
1996 Issue #43
SPRING RIDGE ACADEMY
Tammy Prince, Admissions
Spring Valley, Arizona
Spring Ridge Academy
is a new school for girls ages 13-17 located in Spring Valley, Arizona, just 65 miles North of Phoenix. Enrollment begins
January 1, 1997. The mission is to offer these young women “a choice for change and an opportunity to redirect their lives.”
The profile of students appropriate for Spring Ridge Academy include:
- Low self image, self confidence, or self esteem.
- Minor eating disorders * Drug/alcohol use.
- Running away and/or Minor criminal offenses.
- Lack of cooperation at home or school.
- Destructive physical behavior (cutting, piercing, hitting)
- Suicidal thoughts/talk/behaviors.
- Lying, cheating stealing.
- Verbal and physical abuse.
The program “centers on the integration of all activities so that every experience,
from classroom to community, contributes to a larger whole.” The program includes:
- A comprehensive and unique student/parent workshop series.
- A complete academic curriculum focused on mastery of basic and advanced skills.
- An extensive community- integration curriculum focused on the development of social,
occupational, and life skills.
- A physical education experience which includes a wide variety of physical challenges
and a knowledge of nutrition.
- A Comprehensive individual and group therapy which develops personal accountability
The goal of Spring Ridge Academy is to help “students confront and master
the self-limiting beliefs, attitudes, and behaviors separating them from success. ADD, learning disabilities, low self esteem - these
are challenges to be managed, not immovable roadblocks to success. Students accept responsibility for their choices - and thus for
Copyright © 1996, Woodbury Reports, Inc. (This article may be reproduced
without prior approval if the copyright notice and proper publication and author attribution accompanies the copy.)